Monday, October 1, 2012

Planning for the next few stops...

I leave the orphanage in less than a week.  The thought fills me with excitement, sadness and dread all at the same time.  The sadness comes from having to say goodbye to the children here and the wonderful friends I've made here.  However, I knew this would be part of my journey...goodbyes are inevitable when you take a trip like this.

I was really hoping my Spanish would be further along by now.  I need more practice.  Maybe tomorrow I'll hang out in the kitchen and listen to the cooks.  Or maybe I'll walk into town and hangout at a local restaurant or taco stand.  I'm not sure, but I need to do something!  My Spanish absolutely MUST be better by the time I have to cross the border!

I haven't exactly figured out my travel routes and methods.  My next stop is Puerto Vallarta.  I will be flying out of San Diego (cheapest route) after staying a night with an old college roommate.  Yay!!  I can't wait to catch up!  I plan to relax a bit in PV, soak up some sun and spend a day or two volunteering.  Strangely, I really need to unwind and clear my mind -- the first month of this trip has been eye-opening, heart-wrenching, scary, strange, exciting and fulfilling.

I'm uncertain of my next moves after PV.  My "plan" is to take a few buses from Puerto Vallarta to Guatemala, but I can't seem to find any real concrete advice or information on how to exactly do this.  I think I've decided that I will stay overnight in Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo (both are on the Pacific Coast) one night, then take another bus to Puerto Escondito (also on the coast), where I'll stay another night...or two.  After that, I can't figure out whether to travel inland to San Cristobal or stay near the coast and cross from the Mexican city of Tapachula.  I think the best route is inland, but I'm not sure.  And would you believe that I've gotten mixed reviews about the border crossing?!  Some travelers have said that it should take just moments and cost roughly $3 USD.  Other travelers have said it could take hours upon hours and cost $800 USD!  Yikes.  Since I'm an optimistic sort, I'll hope for the cheaper, faster route.  Believe me, when I figure all this out, I will write an entire blog dedicated to this problem so that future travelers might discover my blog and have less trouble than I'm having.  If any of you have suggestions, please share!

I plan to spend a week or maybe a little more in Guatemala.  I will be volunteering at a rain forest preservation and reforestation charity and taking Spanish lessons.  If I can visit all that I want to see during my down time, I'll be there just a week.  If not, I may need a couple extra days.  After Guatemala, I can't decide whether to bypass or great straight through Honduras & El Salvador, or if there's a place I should see while I'm there.  (Maybe my good friends back home will ask Cesar from El Salvador what I should do...hint, hint).  I have some friends working on a connection for me in Nicaragua, which would be awesome.  After that, Costa Rica!  I've found an expat living there who has a lodge for $20/night that I will probably stay in for a night or two, and her good friend runs a charitable organization there that I might serve at.  I expect that I will be in Costa Rica for a little over a week.  I'm hoping that all pans out.  With any luck, I'll be in Panama by December 10th or so.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Any thoughts, suggestions, or connections you'd like to share will be most welcome! 

2 comments:

  1. Managua, Nicaragua. Forward Edge! :-) they work with kids and families that live in the dump. There are a few other organizations there, but I don't remember their names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestion: DEFINATELY take a few days to a week to decompress, refresh, and then process your time at DOFO. Replay and meditate on those moments that really touched your heart. Ask the Lord to teach you what he wants to teach you from those things. You will find new perspectives and understandings (maybe an epiphany or two) once you do. :-)

    ReplyDelete