Monday, October 15, 2012

Greetings from Guatemala!


Well, I made it to Guatemala!

First things first.  So, the most important thing I've learned in the short trip from Mexico to Guatemala is that I absolutely MUST shed some of the stuff I have.  My pack is way too heavy.  I hate to leave things behind that I might need later down the road, but I can always buy new if I have to.  The hard part is figuring out what stuff to ditch and what stuff to keep.  All the blogs I read before I left had similar packing lists, and I don't think that I packed too much more than those blogs advised, but I need to cut some weight.  Maybe I can move some stuff around and then send some stuff home, but I already sent some stuff home with the friend that met me in Puerto Vallarta!  Ugh.  So, what do I ditch and when do I ditch it?  I'm thinking I'll ditch some of the "gear" & maybe a few items of clothing.  If I'm going to ditch some clothing, I'd rather give it to someone who needs it.  I just have no idea how to find those in need in the short time I have here.  Please say a little prayer for me so that I can find some guidance on this subject.

I landed this evening at about 7 p.m. local time.  Fortunately I decided to spend the extra money and reserve a car to take me from the airport.  I didn't want to be floundering around a new city with barely any Spanish skills trying to get to my destination.  Never had a guy holding a sign with my name on it before!  The drive to Antigua took about 45 minutes.  I only wish that I could've made that drive in the daytime!  From what I could tell, Guatemala City is pretty big and there is definitely lots of traffic.  After leaving the city lights behind, I could tell that we were surrounded by mountains.  I understand that there are three volcanos that surround Antigua, so I'm not too surprised that it was a winding, hilly drive.  I could see the stars almost the whole way, which was awesome!

Antigua is a rustic town with cobblestone streets.  The streets are lined by solid facades painted in every color.  The doorways are not recessed most of the time, so you're staring at one solid wall of cement with lots of shops, houses, hostels and bars with little distinction from one to the next.  I can't wait to see it in the morning.  Unfortunately, it will be very early in the morning.  My bus to Xela leaves at about 5:30 or 6 a.m.  Ugh.  At least I got some sleep on the plane!  I think I'm going to have to come back here and spend a day or two in the city if I can.

I am staying in a hostel.  This place is great!  The door is locked at all times and you have to ring a bell to be let in.  Then there's a steal gate that you have to go through before you get to reception.  Gotta say, makes this solo traveler feel a bit better.  This is the reception area:


My room is nothing spectacular but it has a bed and a bathroom with hot water.  The place has free WiFi, which was a necessity when I booked.  I have to sit out in this hallway area...outside...to stay logged in, but it's worth it.  I wasn't prepared for the cold, crisp air.  My toes are freezing in my flip flops, but thankfully my fleece jacket wasn't packed too deep and I have that.  I have no idea what the temp will be tomorrow, but I'm thinking I might finally have to bring out the warmer clothes.

So, why Antigua if I'm only heading elsewhere tomorrow?  Well, I just needed a place to rest before my long bus ride.  I expect it will take about 5 hours to get to Xela.  While in Xela, I'm volunteering at a rain forest preservation project and will help plant trees (I think).  I will also be taking some desperately needed Spanish lessons.  After that, I don't know.  I'm still waiting for God's guidance or divine intervention.  Maybe I'll meet some other travelers in Xela and figure it out from there.  Maybe someone will suggest the perfect opportunity for more volunteer time.  I don't really know.  I just know that God will lead me in the right direction and put the right people in my path.

Well, I guess I better get some sleep.  Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful that you have arrived safely! I prayed that your lack of posts was due t traveling. :-)

    Guatemala? Sigh. That's where one of my much loved sponsor children lives!

    I can't wait to hear about your next adventure.

    In love and payers.

    ReplyDelete