Monday, June 18, 2012

Lists and Decisions

            There are so many things to consider when you’re getting ready to travel the world!  Sure, everyone thinks of the usual stuff: passport, vaccinations and a packing list.  What about all the “other” stuff to consider?  I realize just about every day that there is something else I hadn’t yet considered or put on my “to do” list.  Ugh.  Every time another idea pops up, I get this sinking feeling...”what else am I forgetting?”  So far, I’ve only managed to check a few things off of my list.  Worse yet, the list is growing and I’m not keeping up! 
            Things that I’ve had to add to my list that aren’t “normal” trip-planning/packing issues include: travel insurance, maintaining regular prescriptions for a year, ordering more contacts so I have enough for a year, making sure my teeth are cleaned before I go, selling everything (or mostly everything) I own, and registering for donations and gifts.
            Just this morning I realized that although I know my passport is up-to-date, I have no idea where it is!  In the chaos of packing and moving into my mom’s house (yep, you read that right...I’m moving back into the very same room in which I grew up in order to save money for my trip), my place is kind of a disaster.  Guess I better get that issue nailed down soon or I won’t have enough time to get a new passport if I can’t find my old one!
            Again, what else am I forgetting?  I feel better by maintaining lists of the things I need to do or consider, but I fear I haven't had enough time to concentrate on those lists. 
            Moreover, I really need to start working on my packing list.  I’ve read tons of blogs and other pieces of travel information and the lists are always different.  There are many things I know that I absolutely must bring and things I absolutely must leave at home.  But there’s a whole lot of gray about the other things.  *sigh*  Any thoughts you want to share will be appreciated.  Like, it’s really 50/50 as to whether to bring a pair of jeans.  I can’t imagine my life without a pair of jeans.  No, I’m not kidding.  Or, what about an iPad versus a MacBook versus a Netbook, one of which I need for word processing, iTunes storage, photos, and a webcam, and all of which have the capabilities I need (as near as I can tell).
            I am really looking forward to the day when I have successfully completed my move to my mom’s and work is over (two weeks left, baby!) so that I can focus more on my trip planning and research...Oh, and that pasky garage sale I will need to have to sell the rest of my stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I look forward to every time I see a new post :)

    ReplyDelete